Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Copycat Cafe: White Hot Chocolate

Since my days have been looking like this lately....


I've been doing a lot of this....
Carrying a lit candle & a book around with me everywhere I go in the house and living off of hot chocolate.
I've been craving my favorite cafe's white hot chocolate. 
So I decided to try to make my own with the leftover white chocolate from the Oreo Balls.
My first inclination was to just wing it but I almost always regret such impulsive behavior. So I looked up recipes and many called for:

Egg
(What does egg do for a drink? I love eggnog but because of all the horror stories of drinking someone's homemade recipe I rather not put egg in my hot chocolate). 

 Cream and Half & Half
(Now I thought half & half was cream.  You know half cream and half milk.  Am I wrong?  Why would you put both in?)

 Vanilla extract and sugar
(That seemed liked overkill since white chocolate is already vanilla flavored and so sweet.)

So the first time I made the white hot chocolate it was waaaaay too sweet and that's saying something coming from the Sugar Queen herself.

The second time I didn't use vanilla or sugar and it was perfect...better than Third St. Cafe even!

Recipe:
1 square of white chocolate melted in the microwave
3/4 mug of milk (I even used Skim) heated in the microwave
Combine and stir well in mug.
A couple of dashes of cinnamon (This is the secret! It wouldn't be anywhere near as good without the cinnamon! I'm glad I saw it one of the recipes and remembered to try it.)

Next time I'm thinking about even going more adventurous and trying it with cayenne pepper or chili pepper!

No comments:

Post a Comment